what to know
- You can remove or unlink an Apple device from your Apple ID or Apple account from another Apple device or Mac.
- Make sure you’re signed in to your Apple ID from the device you want to use so you can find other connected devices.
- Removing/unlinking a device from an Apple ID is reversible, but may require you to wait up to 90 days before logging into the removed device with the same (or new) Apple ID.
This article explains how to remove/unlink a device from your Apple ID.
What does removing a device from Apple ID do?
Removing a device from your Apple ID will stop that device’s ability to perform any functions related to your Apple account. Once removed, the device will no longer be able to receive notifications or messages sent to your Apple account, accept 2-factor authentication codes, connect to iCloud, make App Store purchases, sync with other devices, or make backups of itself.
Removing a device from your Apple ID may also be necessary if you reach the device association limit (10 devices/5 computers) and want to add another one. In this scenario, you can remove an old device to make room for the new one.
How do I remove a device from my Apple account?
You can remove an iPad, iPhone or even your Mac from your Apple account from your other Apple devices. Just make sure you’re signed in to your Apple account on the device you plan to use; otherwise, it won’t know which devices to look for. From your iPhone or iPad:
The option to remove a device from your Apple account will not appear if you are logged into your Apple account while using that device to try to remove it (eg using your iPad Air to remove yourself).
- Open your device Settings.
- In the Settings menu, tap your Apple IDat the top of the screen. It should display your name and the photo you selected to represent your account.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the menu and you will see a list of the different devices connected to your Apple ID.
- Select the device you want to remove from your Apple account.
- On the devices information page, tap Remove from account.
- A pop-up will appear to let you know that removing the device from your account will prevent it from using iCloud or other Apple services until you log in again.
7. Tap Remove to remove the device from your account.
8. Depending on the device being removed, another popup may appear asking you to contact your carrier to deactivate your SIM card. Tap OK .
9.While this process removes the device from your Apple account, the device will still have your login details stored and may ask you to log in again. To fully remove the device from your account, you will need to manually log out of your Apple account from the device you removed.
10. To sign out of your Apple account on the device, go to your Apple ID menu, scroll down and tap Sign Out .
11. Enter your Apple ID password and tap Power off confirm.
12. After logging out of your Apple account and removing the device, you can log in again if needed. Or someone else can enter their Apple ID to connect their device to your account.
Removing a device from your Apple account and logging out does not remove all of your data or information. If you intend to sell your device, be sure to perform a factory reset.
How do I unlink an iPhone from an Apple ID?
Unlinking an iPhone from its Apple ID follows the same steps as above. You can also unlink your iPhone (or other Apple device) from your Apple ID using your Mac.
- Open the Apple menu and click System Preferences.
2.Click Apple ID in the top right section of the menu. Or, if you’re using macOS Mojave or earlier, click iCloud .
3. Select the device you want to remove from the menu on the left side of the window.
4. Click Remove from Account .
5. A popup will appear asking you to confirm. Click Remove to continue or Cancel to go back.
6. As above, this process will remove the device from your Apple account, but the device will still have your login details stored and may ask you to log in again. To fully remove the device from your account, you will need to log out of your Apple from that device manually.
Why can’t I remove a device from my Apple ID?
If you are unable to remove a device from your Apple ID (either because the option is grayed out or because the option is not displayed), you may need to log out of your Apple ID on that device first. You can sign out of your Apple ID from that device by going to Settings > Apple ID and tapping Sign Out (you will need to enter your Apple ID password to complete the sign out process.
Once you sign out, you can remove the device from your Apple account using another device or a Mac as detailed above. Common questions
- How do I add a device to my Apple ID?
To add a device to your device list, sign in with your Apple ID on that device. After logging in, the device will appear in your list. For an iPhone or iPad, you can sign in via iCloud, iMessage, FaceTime, App Store or Game Center. For a Mac or Windows PC, sign in to iCloud with your Apple ID on your computer.
- How do I create a new Apple ID?
To create a new Apple ID when setting up a new device, select Forgot password or don’t have an Apple ID? > Create a free Apple ID during setup. Select your date of birth, enter your name, and tap Use your current email address or choose Get a free iCloud email address . Follow the instructions to complete the process. You can also create a new Apple ID through the App Store app on your device. Tap your profile picture select Create new Apple ID and follow the instructions.
- How do I reset my Apple ID password?
To reset your Apple ID password, visit Apple’s IForgotAppleID website. Enter your username. You have two options: choose to use a recovery email address to reset your password or answer security questions to reset your password. Then enter your new Apple ID password. Must be eight or more characters, including uppercase and lowercase letters, and at least one number. When you’re satisfied, select Save . If you have two-factor authentication, you’ll also need to verify your trusted phone number and wait for a notification on one of your trusted devices.