How to Remove a Credit Card from Your iTunes Account
Apple makes purchasing music, movies and apps from the iTunes store as easy as possible. To do this, Apple requires that you provide credentials for a valid form of payment, usually a credit card, when registering for an iTunes account. The information is kept on file, so it’s always on hand for quick purchases. If you do not want to store credit card information in iTunes because you are concerned about privacy or do not want your child to make unauthorized purchases while using your computer, remove the card from the iTunes store.
Erase your iTunes Store credit card
This involves just a few steps:
- Open iTunes.
- If you’re not already signed in, go to the Storemenu, choose Sign In , then sign in to your account.
- Once signed in, go to the Storemenu, then choose See my Apple ID . You may be asked to enter your password.
- In the Apple ID Summary, Click the Edit link (it’s located to the right of Payment Type )
- On the Edit Payment Informationscreen, instead of choosing a credit card, click None .
- Scroll down and choose Done.
- Your Apple iTunes account now has no credit card attached.
How to get apps on an account without a credit card
After the credit card is removed from your iTunes account, you will still be able to get apps, music, movies and books on your iPad. There are several options, including one that lets kids download what they want without having to do anything special.
- Gift apps : Instead of buying apps on iPad, use a different account that has a credit card attached to buy the apps. Or give music and movies as gifts from the iTunes store.
- Configure an iTunes Permission : This option is great if you want a low maintenance solution. Use the permission to closely monitor what your child is doing on the iPad. Setting up an allowance can be great for older kids too.
- Add and Remove : This one requires more maintenance but is a viable solution. Add the credit card to the account when you want to buy something and remove it after the purchase is confirmed. This works best if you schedule purchases once a week or once a month for the iPad.
- Load first : This is the easiest way if you have young children who don’t need the latest and greatest apps on their iPads. After registering an account, download all the apps, books, music and movies you want before removing your credit card.
To keep your information safe when sharing a computer with kids, learn how to protect an iPad for kids.